Living the amazon experience
Cruising the Negro River
Very few places in the planet hold as much mystery as the Amazon. Considered one of man´s last frontiers on Earth, this fantastic region offers a wide variety of possibilities for a study program. Starting from Manaus, the capital of the state of Amazonas, our group will cruise along the Negro River and its tributaries on an exclusive, private regional boat which is the best way of getting to the points to be studied on the rainforest. From our base-boat, smaller speedboats will take us to explore the “igarapés”, smaller watercourses that wind into the “igapós”, the labyrinths formed by the flooded forest. A truly amazing experience! Students will have the opportunity to meet and interact with isolated, traditional communities and also trek along the forest with expert local guides that have been born and raised in the Amazon.
Possible areas for studies:
• Social and environmental Sustainability
• Traditional Communities: Sustainable extraction, Culture and Native Knowledge of the Forest People
• Deforestation, Meteorology and Climate Change – How the Amazon parameters affect our planet. Academic presentation at INPA – National Institute for Amazonian Research (Manaus)
• Biodiversity and Ecology: (transects/quadrants for species counting)
• Ethnobotany and Medicinal Plants: species identification and their use by the “forest people”
• River Dynamics and Profiles
• Native-bees raising in the tropical forest (honey and pollination)
• Academic exchange with local governmental and private institutions engaged in Amazonian studies and research
Availability: The whole year
Indicated for: School Groups / University Groups
FROM A LIMESTONE
This program was designed to provide a fascinating experience beginning at the exuberant rain forest that covers the PETAR State Park and its more than 200 limestone caves and ending at the mangroves and...
The state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in central Brazil, is typically agricultural and cattle raising oriented. Home of huge farms of up to 250.000 acres, the state also holds a few of Brazil´s most striking natural beauties. Our suggested...
Brazil is a continental-sized country where “diversity” best defines its broad possibilities of having a fascinating experience and diving into new cultures. A colorful, friendly and perfumed country, Brazil is home to painters...